Referrals for bone densitometry last 1 year from the referral date.
Patients can bring a referral to the appointment or it can be faxed to (02) 9411 2015 prior to the appointment.
A referral must contain the provider number, date of referral, and the name of the referring doctor.
Referral forms for doctors are available for download, or alternatively, contact us to request a referral pad to be mailed to you.
What does Medicare cover?
Currently, Medicare provides a rebate for Bone Density scans in the following circumstances:
- Male or Female 70 years and over
- Minimal trauma fracture
- Previous low bone density result at least 12 months previously
- Prolonged glucocorticoid therapy (e.g. prednisone, cortisone orally)
- Early menopause (45 or younger)
- Male hypogonadism (e.g. low testosterone)
- Cushings Syndrome
- Primary hyperparathyroidism
- Proven malabsorption (e.g. Crohn's disease, Coeliac disease)
- Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid gland)
- Chronic liver disease
- Chronic renal disease
- Diagnosed rheumatoid arthritis (NOT osteoarthritis)
- Change in osteoporosis treatment after at least 1 year of therapy, to monitor change in bone density